The Fishing Derby has been an annual event for ten years. It started as a dream of one of our member, Doyle Carter. He believed that we could contribute to a child’s positive self-image through this activity. Doyle is still part of this activity, Children 5-12 are divided into three age group. They are allowed to fish for 45 minutes and we keep track of the length of fish they catch. Fish are caught and released. The lengths of the fish are added up. Trophies are given to the first, second, and third place winners in each age group. The smiles on the faces of those children are priceless. That is why we return each year to do this event.
This year the Fishing Derby will be at Pontiac Lake Recreation on June 12, 2021 from 9 AM to 12 PM. This a free event. Also, June 12th is part of Free Fishing Weekend, so you do not need a Recreation Passport or a fishing license.
Fishing Derby Rules
- Use bait provided. No other bait allowed. No lures allowed.
- Only the child is permitted to fish. Casting help is allowed.
- The staging area is the starting point for all. No prepositioning is allowed. Go to the water when your age group is called.
- Late registrations can compete if your age group has not finished fishing yet.
- You must fish in your age group only. Absolutely no exceptions.